Kids' Library Cards FAQ
Kids Card FAQ
How old does my child have to be to get a library card?
1 day old! Children can get cards whenever their mom or dad thinks they’re ready.
Does my child have to be able to write her name to get a library card?
If they’re old enough, children can sign their name on the card and the application. If they’re too young to write their first name, we just need mom or dad to sign the application and write the child’s name on the card.
My 3-year-old doesn’t have a driver’s license. What kind of documentation do I need to show you to get him his card?
For a kid to get a card, we need to have a parent or legal guardian’s photo ID. If your ID doesn’t have your current address, you can bring in proof of address or have us mail you your card.
I watch my grandson after school and take him to the library every Wednesday. Can I get him a library card?
Yes, you can get the process started! We want all children to get library cards. Since their parents are ultimately responsible for the items they take home, we want to make sure parents are okay with the child getting a card.
- Fill out a library card application using the child’s name, date of birth, home address, and parent’s phone number and/or e-mail address. Leave the parent signature field blank.
- Show us your photo ID. It doesn’t have to have your current address.
- We issue the child a temporary card that allows him to take home 3 items today.
- We mail the child’s library card, application, and a letter to the child’s parents.
- The parent signs the application. They can bring it back to the library with their photo ID, or send it with you or another caregiver. You or the caregiver will need a photocopy or picture of the parent’s ID. (Smartphone photos are great for this!)
- Once we have a signed application on file, we reset the card to allow full access. If we don’t receive the signed application within 3 months, the card is deleted from our system.
I’m 13. Do I need to bring my mom to the library in order to get a card?
Maybe. If you have a school ID card, learner’s permit, or driver’s license with your picture on it, you can get a card. If your ID doesn’t have your current address, you can bring in proof of address or have us mail you your card. If you’re under 13, you WILL need to bring your mom (or dad) to get a card.
I’m in 6th grade. Can I have a guest pass for the computers?
Nope. Guest passes are for people age 18 or older. You’ll need a library card or a computer-only card.