This bridge is a half-through steel arch protected by sprayed-on concrete (known as Gunite). Its total length is 745 feet consisting of a 360-foot main span with eleven concrete deck girder approach spans. The height from the water to the center of the bridge is 49 feet. Its outside width is 28 feet, which includes two traffic lanes and two sidewalks.
Statement of Significance: This is a significant bridge. It is the only Willamette River bridge in the Portland area designed by Conde B.McCullough, best known for his Oregon coast bridges, and it is one of only four half-through arch bridges in the state of Oregon. Typical of the McCullough design, this bridge has pylons, an ornate railing, arches fascia curtain walls, fluted Art Deco main piers and bush-hammered inset panels. The bridge was built in 1922 by A. Guthrie & Company of Portland at a cost of $300,000. Part of the old Pacific Highway, it replaced an 1888 suspension bridge between Oregon City and West Linn. The bridge is virtually intact, with the exception of occasional repaving of the main deck. Because it retains a very high degree of historic integrity, it should be considered eligible as a contributing resource in a historic district, and because of its significance, it should also be considered individually eligible for listing on the National Register.