This 1-1/2 story house sits under a side gable roof that is bellcast with a large gabled dormer on the west façade. A full width porch is recessed under the main gable on the west side, where the eave is supported by Tuscan columns set on a solid balustrade. A wide frieze encircles the porch, and the gables feature boxed eaves above wide frieze boards with gable end returns. The house is primarily clad with beveled lap siding finished with cornerboards, but the gable ends are clad with wood shingles above a string course at the second floor window heads. The windows are primarily 1/1 double-hung wood sash, but the west side features a large fixed pane with a small transom window. The windows typically feature board trim and apron moldings, and the first floor windows have decorative hood moldings. The house rests on a concrete foundation with a fully developed water table. A tall brick chimney is located on the south wall of the house. A small garage is located to the east of the house, clad with stucco and covered by a flat roof.
Statement of Significance: In 1913, Mary LaForest, widowed, sold the property to Don Meldrum. Don Meldrum, born in 1884, was a grandson of Mary and Eugene LaForest, Oregon City pioneers who lived next door at 1110 Washington Street. He attended the University of Oregon, took a law degree at San Francisco, and, as a registered civil engineer and member of the California State Bar, was hired as principal supervisor for the Crown-Willamette Paper Company, where he worked for 25 years. In 1933, he became West Coast Civil Engineer and Real Estate Director for the Northern Pacific division of the U.S. Corps of Army Engineers, where he worked on such projects as Bonneville Dam. He died in 1947. In 1907, Don transferred the property to his wife, Doris. In 1918, Doris sold the property to L.V. and Edith Roake. L.V. worked for Roake Motor Works. The Roakes retained the property for about 60 years. In 1980, William Roake and Hazel Collins sold the lot to John and Marva Bentely.