Statement of Significance: The exact date of construction of the subject property is unknown. It is attributed to W.C. Dement who owned it from 1864 through the 1880s. Deed records are unclear, but indicate the following people owned the property: T.L. Charman (1889-1896), William B. and Louisa Poyser et.al. (1896-1914), and Thomas Ryan (1914-1934). The Charman family and Ryan are known to have invested in real estate in the Park Place and Clackamas Heights areas through much of the historic period. Further, both Charman and Ryan are believed to have resided elsewhere at the specified times.
Thomas Leonard Charman was born in Oregon City, attended Oregon State College and established the Charman Drug Company in 1882 with his brother Elmer Ellsworth Charman. T.L. Charman was prominent in business, civic and social activities. He was the first secretary and manager of the Oregon City Electric Company, established in 1888, and is credited with starting the first power plant in Oregon City. T.L. and E.E. Charman also operated the Charman Brickyard.
William Poyser was born in Indiana in 1858 and married Louise J. who was born in 1864 in Illinois. As of 1900 they had three children: Grace B., Ethel M., and Huron M. The children, born in 1888, 1890 and 1893, respectively, were all natives of Oregon.
Thomas F. Ryan came to Oregon in 1883. He was active in government, commerce and social circles. Ryan was the president of the Bank of Commerce, mayor of Oregon City, city recorder, county judge and deputy state treasurer. He was also president of Clackamas Auto and Tractor Company and an official of several fraternal and social groups.
County records indicate that the subject house was built before 1900, but do not pin point the date beyond that level. Architectural evidence would support a date of construction as early as the 1860s, although a conservative date of the construction would be in the 1880s. Investigation of the tax assessor records (now located in the State Archives in Salem) from the 19th century might illuminate the issue.
The house is believed to have been the site of a brickyard. According to Census records two brickyards operated on Redland Road between present day Holly Lane and Abernethy Road. During the Depression local residents recall that the house operated as a dance hall, known as the Brick House.
The house, a good example of the Vernacular style, is distinctive for its construction material; it is the only 19th century building in the area built of brick. Further, it is one of few historic brick dwellings in the county. It is composed of two-story rectangular volume and two one-story gabled ells. Distinctive features include the steeply pitched roof, decorative brick chimney pot, and polygonal window bays. The handsome, pedimented entrance, framed by slightly battered pilasters and surmounted by a dentil course, is unusual and extremely handsome.
The house has had several alterations, including the addition of a pergola-like structure at the entrance, replacement of a window on the west elevation, and the attachment of an exterior staircase on the east elevation. The gabled ell on the rear elevation - which is believed to have been a woodshed or cellar - has been partially resided. Overall these changes are minor when the age and unique character of the house are taken into consideration.
Landscaping features, including holly, roses, laurel and fruit trees, contribute to the historic character of the dwelling.