Statement of Significance: County records indicate the subject dwelling was constructed in 1910. Deed records indicate that Ellen E. Burnett was the property owner from 1909 through 1922, when it was sold to Blanche Burnett Pope. However, during that period the dwelling was known as the Pope House.
Ezra Pope was identified as a gardener in early directories; later in life he became a county judge. He also served on the Board of Directors for the Park Place School.
The house is an excellent example of the Bungalow style. The broad form is covered with a series of low-pitched gable roofs. Salient architectural features include the multi-light windows, exposed rafters, purlins and braces, and French doors. The combination of siding materials is also common in dwellings of this style. Dormers, sleeping porches and commodious porches were often used to facilitate ventilation and natural light into dwellings of this period. The symmetrical facade and porte cochere are elements that suggest an influence of the Colonial style which was concurrently popular.
Alterations, although limited, have been made to the house. On the rear elevation the rear porch has been partially enclosed and a shed roof cover has been added. A window has been replaced on the east elevation.
Landscape features, including laurel and holly, contribute to the historic character of the dwelling. Basalt steps, which lead from the front porch toward the Clackamas River, are also important components of the landscape.