Statement of Significance: William and Louisa smith are believed to be the original owners of the subject property. They deeded the house in 1890 to Eli Rivers, who sold the property to Harriet A. Woods within one month. The title to the property was held by various members of the Woods family until 1901. Over the next few years it was sold to a succession of owners, including R.H. and Carrie Dunn, who owned it from 1903 to 1911. It was sold twice before 1913 when it passed to Cora Jane Minger (Mrs. Alfred). It remained in her name until 1972.
William Smith was born in Ohio in 1840. He served in the Civil War, attaining the rank of captain. After the war he emigrated to Oregon and married Louisa Rivers, a native of Canada. Smith worked at the mill at Park Place for 30 years. He assisted in converting the facility from a saw mill to a paper mill. The Smiths had three children: Charles E., Fred W. and Katie Freytag. Smith was a Director of the school board for 30 years, a member of the Blue Lodge A.F. & A.M., the Grand Army of the Republic and Union Veterans organization. After the paper was closed at Park Place, Smith purchased the Henan Buck donation land claim.
Some information is known about the other owners. R.H. Dunn was an employee of the Hawley Paper Company. Alfred Minger operated Minger Truck Lines.
The house is a good example of the Vernacular style. It is composed of several perpendicular volumes covered with narrow, dropped siding and finished with corner and rake boards. According to a son of the former owner, the walls are 1" by 10" planks and fastened with square nails. This method of construction was generally out of fashion by 1885, aiding in establishing the date of construction.
A small one-story gabled volume is attached to the house by a breezeway. The original use of this volume is unclear, however, it is now used as living space.
Overall the alterations to the house have been limited. The front porch posts appear to have been replaced in the early 20th century, and on the north side of the house there is a porch which appears to have been enclosed.
In addition to the dwelling, there is an outbuilding which fronts on Taylor Lane. This building is clad with tongue-and-groove siding and a projecting gable cover extends over the north elevation. During the period the property was owned by the Mingers, this building was used as a garage for a car and a truck. Landscape features, including a laurel hedge, hydrangeas, roses and grapes, contribute to the historic character of the dwelling.