Statement of Significance: The subject property was purchased by Frank Preuhoff (Preuhoff is alternately spelled Preurhoff or Preuschoff. It is not known which spelling is correct.) in 1889, and an interest given to Mrs. Mary Preuhoff, presumably Mrs. Frank Preuhoff, who sold in 1921 to S.H. and Amanda Wyrick. They owned the property until 1940, when they purchased the Apperson House near the intersection of Apperson and Melinda streets.
Tax assessor records indicate that the house was constructed sometime prior to 1900, but not exactly when. Architectural evidence would suggest that the house was constructed sometime between 1890 and 1910, and remodeled in the 1920s or 30s. All of this information would support a thesis that the house was built by Preuhoff and then remodeled by the Wyricks.
As it stands today, the house is good example of the Vernacular type. This modest building is asymmetrical in plan, clad with narrow dropped siding finished with corner boards. The wide, fixed sash windows with decorative muntins, rectangular window bays covered with a shed rood, and the single-bay front porch are commonly associated with buildings from the 1920s or 30s.
In addition to the house, there are two outbuildings. One is a garage. It appears to date from the historic period. The other appears to be an animal shed, possibly a chicken coop. The Wyrick family, Robert L. and Olive June, were associated with the Chicken in the Rough restaurant on McLoughlin, and one may speculate that the animal shed was a part of that business operation.