Statement of Significance: William Lowry was a millwright for the Oregon City Woolen Mills. As an old man in the early 1930s, he had the small apartment built (the apartment is this house; Mr. Lowry lived in the 1870 house that stood next door until 1939) to provide housing for one of his sons, who was to take care of him. In 1936, Richard Lowry and his wife moved into the apartment and expanded its size, turning it into a larger house. Richard Lowry was a contract logger for over twenty years, then worked for Hawley Pulp and Paper Company, and in 1951 worked for Crown Zellerbach until retirement in 1972. In the NR District, this house is classified as a Compatible structure.