This modest house sits under a front gable roof, with a gabled wing extending to the north of the main body of the house. This wing was added about 1905, and matches the original portion of the house in both character and materials. On the south side, a hipped porch runs nearly the full width of the façade, with square posts supporting the hip eave. Scroll cut brackets make the transition from these posts to the porch frieze, which is a dentil course below a blank frieze board at the eave. All of the eaves are enclosed on the house, with blank frieze and rake boards on the main body of the house. The house is entirely clad with horizontal beveled lap siding, finished with wide cornerboards. A full water table makes the transition to the poured concrete foundation, which contains two windows on the east side. The windows in the main body of the house are 6/6 double-hung wood sash with small hood moldings, and the north wing windows have the same surrounds but are 1/1 sashes. A brick chimney is centrally located in the main body of the house, and features a corbelled top.
Statement of Significance: In 1897, Christian Hartmann purchased this property from Mrs. C.O.T. Williams and is credited with the construction of the house. Hartmann was born in Brisson, Switzerland and later emigrated to America in from Genoa, Italy. He arrived in Oregon City in 1891, where he joined his brother in managing the Oregon City Brewery. When the brewery closed, Hartmann was hired as the representative of the Weinhard Brewery. He also served on the firefighting force, was elected its chief three times, and served as treasurer of the department's Fountain Hose Company. In the 1950s and 1960s, this property changed hands numerous times and was apparently used as a rental house until 1979.