This front-gable-and-wing house sits far back from the street on a flat lot, next to its twin at 312 Madison Street. The main entrance sits high up on a tall base with stairs leading up to the front porch with square posts and solid rail. The bay windows with a sloping hip roof and some decorative detailing give it an Italianate flair. Its 1/1 wood double-hung windows are now covered with metal storms. A grooved plywood skirt runs around the foundation. Frieze and rake boards detail the gable, along with corner boards. The entry stairs have been replaced at some point, and an entry to the back has been added on the north side, and a porch added on the back (east) side. A concrete outbuilding lacking a roof and in serious disrepair lies on the lot to the south of the house.
Statement of Significance: In 1889, Mahlon Willoughby, a landlord, purchased this property and proceeded to construct this rental house. The residence is a twin to the one constructed by Willoughby at 312 Madison. The earliest known occupants of this house were Frank Bruner, a bricklayer and mason for Crown Willamette Paper, and his wife Margaret. The property was sold in 1898 to Thomas Ryan, who lived in Gladstone and continued to rent this house to the Bruners. In 1927, Ryan's estate sold the property to Otto and Wella Erickson, who do not appear to have lived in the house. In the 1940s, it was occupied by Orris E. and Mildred Arnold. Mr. Arnold was employed by the Wentzell Saw Company and later by Crown Zellerbach. The couple was deeded the house in 1961 and retained it until 1980. They lived in the house for a few more years before using it as a rental. By 1964 it was occupied by Sidney Grandy, a lineman with Tyee Construction, and his wife Ruth.