This 1-1/2 story Classical Revival house has a steep gable roof with a shed dormer window on the south side, both covered in composition shingles. It has wide rakeboards, rake moldings, exposed rafters, and cornerboards. There is also a watertable and cap. A hip roof porch was added c.1920 to give the house a bungalow look. The porch has four wide columns and a large entablature. The windows are 6/6 wood singlehung with pedimented hoods. On the rear elevation, a 1/1 wood window was added c.1890-1900. There is also one vinyl window and a few c.1940 windows on this elevation. The house has a square plan and sits on a post and beam foundation with a skirt of v-notch siding hung vertically. A back porch with shed roof and deck was added c.1990. The front yard is surrounded by a picket fence. There is a garage at the rear of the house.
Statement of Significance: This house was constructed in another location by Robert and Jane Caufield in c.1874, and was moved to this site sometime between 1911 and 1915. Caufield crossed the plains in 1847 and, upon arriving in Oregon City, established a mercantile store. Mrs. Caufield continued to operate the business while her husband tried mining gold in California. Upon his return, Robert Caufield entered public office and was the first county judge after Oregon was admitted to the union. He was also the treasurer of Clackamas County and a member of the City Council. In 1900, this property was purchased by Otto Erickson, a millwright at the Crown Willamette Paper Company. He and his wife Luella are responsible for moving the Judge Robert Caufield House to the site sometime between 1911 and 1915, as the couple was residing in the house by 1916. Following her husband's death in the mid-1940s, Mrs. Erickson continued to live in the residence. She was joined in the mid-1960s by Helen Erickson, who was a bookkeeper at the Cleland Clinic.