This large, side-gabled bungalow exhibits Craftsman detailing in its bracketed wide overhang. Lap siding covers the structure, including the small shed roof dormer that pokes out facing the street. 1/1 wood double-hung windows are the norm, with the exception of the multi-paned fixed windows on the bay that sticks out on the northern façade. A full width porch runs along the front of the house under the main gable. A water table sits on top of a poured concrete foundation. There is an exterior chimney on the south side. A carport sits below the house in the back, as the terrain drops off quickly to the west.
Statement of Significance: In 1927, Christian and Agnes Schuebel purchased this property. Born in Pennsylvania in 1866, Schuebel came to Oregon City in 1878, and, having almost no formal education, gained a wide variety of job experience (coal mining, logging, farm labor). He worked for the Crown- Willamette Pulp and Paper Company while studying law in night school at the University of Oregon. Schuebel was admitted to the bar in 1897 and became a prominent Oregon City attorney. He acted as deputy district attorney, served on the city council, and also held three terms as Clackamas County's representative in the State Legislature. Throughout his career, Schuebel remained committed to improving working conditions in Oregon's mills and factories and was responsible for legislation establishing workmen's compensation, limiting working hours, and establishing a state board of conciliation and arbitration. He also converted Oregon City to the city manager system of administration, drafted the state's general fund bill, and introduced and helped to pass several other important bills dealing with taxation and labor. In 1927, the Schuebels began construction on a new house at 408 John Adams Street and this property was subsequently purchased by Brooke and Susannah Ernest. Although they owned the house until 1947, it is unclear if the Ernests ever resided in the house. The next owner, Ralph E. Metz, was a manager for the JC Penney Company. He occupied the house with his wife Helen and their son Robert for the next ten years. From 1963 to 1969, ownership of this property was transferred another five times.