This structure is the Oregon City Elevator, allowing foot traffic to pass from the bluff that houses the McLoughlin Historic District to the downtown area below. Constructed in 1954, the elevator replaced an earlier structure constructed for this same purpose. The elevator features a central round shaft with a single car. At the top of the structure, a small overlook balcony surrounds the shaft with a long row of fixed windows overlooking the city below. The east end of this balcony is open to the promenade walkway along the top of the bluff. Inside the balcony, a number of murals and signs illustrate the history of the city.