This one story house sits under a hip roof on a stone foundation, with a hipped dormer on the north side. A very shallow hip roof covers the full width front porch on the north side, supported by a series of squat Tuscan columns on a solid balustrade. The balustrade, like the rest of the house, is clad with rounded double drop siding finished with cornerboards. A wide frieze encircles the porch above the columns. The main hip features open eaves with exposed rafter tails. The windows in the house are primarily 4/1 double-hung wood sash, typically appearing in groups with wide board surrounds. The dormer has a group of three wood awning windows and a slender apron molding rather than the typical apron boards found throughout the rest of the house. A contemporary storage shed has been added to the south end of the lot, clad with plywood.
Statement of Significance: In 1879, Isaac Farr Jr., a farmer, purchased this entire block and used the land to pasture his animals. Farr's sons, Clarence and Louis, were the proprietors of the Farr Bros. Store on 7th Street. As Farr resided at 409 John Adams with his wife Annis, it appears that this house was used as a rental. In 1923, Mrs. Farr, a widow, recorded a deed to Ralph J. and Lillie M. Eddy, who proceeded to live at the property. By 1941, the house was occupied by Laura B. Carter, a Christian Science practitioner. Four years later, ownership was transferred into her name. In 1950, the property was purchased by Daniel E. Lyons, an employee of the Public Paper Company, and his wife, Mary Corbina. The couple continued to own and occupy this residence until their respective deaths in the late 1950s and early 1970s.