This is a one-story building with a false-front parapet wall. The parapet is capped by a modified "Italianate" style cornice (perhaps in an effort to recall its original elaborate two-story Italianate facade}. The building is divided into three storefronts of unequal widths. A transom (currently painted) is located above the storefront entrances and display windows. The northernmost bay appears to have been remodeled in the late 1940s or early 1950s, with a recessed entrance and canted display windows. The south bays are more typical of the 1920s or 1930s with recessed entrances, but squared display windows. The false-front wall has been stuccoed, although earlier photos show a lapped board type siding, which apparently has been removed. The building sits mid-block and faces west. Statement of Significance: This building was constructed in c.1900 by H.C. Stevens and W.H. Howell as an elaborate, two-story Italianate built "to suit the firm" of Louis Adams' Golden Rule Bazaar. It was touted as the "best and most showy store room in the city." The upper floor provided a meeting hall, first for the Woodmen of the World, later for the Pythian Sisters and other organizations. When the Methodist Church, located next door to the north, burned in 1919, the upper portions of this building were severely damaged, resulting in the removal of the second floor (a portion was left intact as attic storage). In the 1920s, the north bay houses a clothing shop and the two south bays were occupied by the Evergreen Restaurant and Grocery Store. In July 1938, Muno's Bakery opened in the center bay and has operated at this site since that time, making it perhaps the longest-lived business in downtown Oregon City still in operation. The 1941 directories indicate that in addition to the bakery, the Burgoyne's Coffee Shop was located next door at 616 (as it was in the 1947 and 1953 directories as well) and John Papez, a tailor, had a shop at 618. The 1947 and 1953 directories show Bernie Herrmann's clothing store at 618. At the time of the 1983 survey, a hair salon occupied the small space at 616 and the Oregon City Sporting Goods Store occupied 618 with the bakery in between. In addition to their business interests, both Stevens and Howell were significant businessmen in Oregon City. Stevens served as the first telegraph operation for the Oregon-California Railroad when it ran between Oregon City and Portland. He served several terms as city councilman, was active in the local Elks and Meade Post of the GAR. Howell was superintendent and engineer for the Oregon City Water Works at the turn of the century, responsible for overseeing the installation of the Oregon City pumping and filter plant. He was active in the campaign to build the first elevator. Although the building has been altered, it retains sufficient integrity to be considered eligible as a contributing resource IF an effort is made to restore the false-front wall to its historic appearance, including the post-fire cornice, and the transoms are restored.