Built in 1845, the Francis Ermatinger House is both an early and an unusual house for Oregon. The structures is a two-story rectangular box with a flat roof and a full length front porch. Four sturdy square posts with minimal bases and capitals support an entablature and the flat porch roof. The same entablature is repeated at the roof line. The exterior cladding is clapboard with medium width corner boards. The openings on the long façade are arranged slightly asymmetrically, with the upper and lower levels lined up. Most of the windows are wood frame 6/6 double-hung with narrow muntins and simple frames. The two windows to either side of the front door are 6/9 and have slightly more elaborate, classically inspired frames. The front entrance has a six-pane transom window over the door. The upper third of the door itself is also glazed.
Statement of Significance: The Francis Ermatinger House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.