This is a small one-story, wood frame commercial building with two storefronts of unequal size. The north bay is smaller and less altered. It has a recessed entry and fixed metal display windows characteristic of the 19405 and 1950s. The transoms are intact. The south bay is slightly larger but less intact historically. The entire storefront has been recessed under the front wall of the building and includes windows and doors typically of the 1970s. The transoms have been removed or covered over. A full-width awning, extending over both storefronts, is attached just above the transom line. A mural has been painted on the top of the parapet wall above the awning. The building faces east on Main Street. Statement of Significance: The J.W. Cole Building is one of only a few remaining wood frame buildings in downtown Oregon City. It was constructed in c.1908 by J. Wallace Cole, who had several business interests in Oregon City. Cole, who was born in Clackamas County in 1860, worked for a number of years in the woolen and flour mills before going into business for himself when he opened a saloon on Main Street in 1894. In 1896 he served as the chief of the local fire department. By the turn of the century, he was acquiring a number of properties in town and perhaps had this building constructed for use as a rental. According to a newspaper article in city files (date and newspaper unidentified), the north bay housed a barber shop from 1908 until it closed sometime after 1983. The shop was known as the OK Barber Shop for a number of years (from at least the 1940s until its closure). The 1911 Sanborns indicate that the south bay was occupied by Richard Petzold. The city directories and the Sanborn maps support that a barber shop occupied the north bay and a confectionery the south bay for many years. The 1941 and 1947 directories list Short's Confectionery and Cafe at 703; by 1953, it had changed to Daisy's Cafe. The OK Barber Shop appeared in the 1947 and 1953 directories and was still located at this site during the 1983 survey. Today, the south bay houses an attorney's office and the north bay houses the Island Grill Restaurant. Due to the loss of a substantial amount of historic integrity, the building is no longer considered eligible as a contributing resource in a historic district.