This is a two-story building that has been substantially altered through repeated renovations. It currently has a brick veneer applied to the street level exterior walls and a standing seam sheet metal applied as siding on the upper story. The second floor windows are metal with a central fixed light (currently with "snap-in" dividers for a multipane appearance) and sliders at each side of the central light. The two storefronts are recessed into the front of the building and have metal windows and doors consistent with remodeling in the 1970s or 1980s. Canvas awnings extend from the just below the upper story windows over each storefront. A separate entrance to the upper floor is located at the north end of the ground floor storefronts. The building faces west.
Statement of Significance: This building was constructed in c.1902 by E.D, aids for Helen Stratton, the widow of former Oregon City mayor, M.A. Stratton. The first tenants were Richard Petzold and Hermann Bethke, who operated the Oregon City Butchering and Packing Company in the south half of the ground floor until moving further north on Main Street. On the 1911 Sanborn maps, a pool hall occupied the north half of the ground floor, perhaps the F.D. Cox Billiards and Pool Hall, which is listed at 708 Main in the 1916 city directory. The 1911 Sanborns also indicate that the second floor was used for lodging. In 1923, Frank Busch bought the building and removed the wall that divided the building into two stores. He used the entire ground level for his furniture business. In July 1930, an explosion and fire damaged the Pastime Pool Hall, which occupied the building at that time. The fire left one dead; the owner of the pool hall, Bruce Laos, was arrested for arson. Following WWII, the Ben Franklin Store leased the building and remodeled the facade to include porcelain enameled metal sheathing, accented by tile applied to the bulkheads. The Eagles Hall was located upstairs for a while in the 1940s. The building underwent a substantial structural alteration at some point in time, possibly when the bank was constructed next door, more likely after the 1930 fire. This alteration resulted in the use of the walls of the neighboring buildings for support on the sides, as this building has no structural support side walls. According to the 1983 survey, the current alterations occurred in the 1970s. The building has been so substantially altered that it retains none of its historic appearance or integrity and is, therefore, not eligible as a contributing resource in a historic district.