809 Washington Street - Judge Harvey Cross House
This large two story house sits under a front gable roof that is ornamented by a wide frieze and rake board with scroll cut brackets placed close together, giving the house an Italianate feel. This feeling is accentuated by the segmentally arched 1/1 double-hung wood sash windows throughout the house. The windows feature wide trim with decorative edge molding and scroll cut ornament above the second floor windows. The house is clad with drop siding with blocks at the corners to simulate quoins. A full width porch runs across the east façade with a second floor balcony supported by a series of tapered square columns set on concrete piers. A simple balustrade encircles the porch, which also contains an octagonal bay near the south end of the façade. A second octagonal bay is located on the south side of the house, covered by a shallow hip roof. A large brick chimney is located on the south wall of the house, east of the octagonal bay. A basalt retaining wall faces Washington Street on the east side of the lot.
Statement of Significance: The c.1888 Judge Harvey Cross House was constructed at another location and moved to this site sometime between 1911 and 1925. Cross was a prominent local and state politician and community leader. He was one of the founders of the Mount Hood and Barlow Road Company, which operated the Barlow Road after 1882, and with partners formed the Gladstone Real Estate Association which led to the establishment of the city of Gladstone. In 1890, Cross represented Clackamas and Marion Counties in the Oregon State Senate, and he also served as a county judge. In 1894, he co-founded the Willamette Valley Chautauqua Association and helped establish it as the third largest permanent Chautauqua camp in the United States. The house was moved to this site during the ownership of Edwin G. and Gertrude Roberts, who purchased the property in 1910, but continued to live at 1003 9th Street until at least 1916. By the early 1930s, Gertrude Roberts occupied this house and continued to do so until the mid-1950s. Roberts was joined in by Joseph F. Davis, a teacher at Oregon City High School, and his wife Mary in 1953. Five years later, the house was deeded to the couple, who remained in the house until 1972. This property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.