This two story Gothic Revival Church has a complex plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation with basement. The cross gable roof is covered in composition shingles and pierced by shed roof dormers on the north facade. The Church is covered with stone and bevel siding on the bell tower and dormer walls. Most facades have buttresses. Windows are primarily multi-pane wood casement, arched multi-pane fixed with colored glass, round, and 1/1 wood double-hung. There are multiple entry doors in the building. The bell tower is topped by a spire. A stone retaining wall encircles the yard.
Statement of Significance: Lots 3 and 4 of Block 41 were sold in 1912 by Clara E. Morey, widow, to Charles H. and Ella L. Caufield. The Caufields sold the property to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1920. In 1950, the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church took a mortgage with the Benjamin Franklin Savings and Loan on the property. The mortgage was satisfied in 1957, and the trustees retained ownership through the rest of the historic period. The Methodist Church was organized by Rev. Alvin F. Waller in 1844. Early members included George Abernathy, C.W. Stafford, H.K. Henry. First United has the distinction of being the first Protestant Church built west of the Rockies. The original church was located at 3rd and Main and was moved by ox cart to 7th and Main. The congregation grew and the early church was moved to the back of the lot. It was replaced by another church which in altered form remains at the present site of the Phillips Store. After a fire in 1919, the church relocated in the Charles Caufield Mansion on the bluff. In 1950, the church constructed the present structure. The ministers were The Rev. David Hardy in 1941; The Rev. Orval M. Whitman in 1947; and The Rev. Clark S. Enz from 1960 through at least 1967.