This large 2-1/2 story house is a good example of the American Foursquare style, sitting under a hip roof with a full width hipped porch on the east façade. The porch hip is supported by paired square columns with entasis, and a low balustrade encircles the porch. The main hip features small hip dormers on all four sides, and has enclosed eaves above the wide frieze board. A rectangular bay is cantilevered out from the main body of the house at the first floor level on the north side, and a second cantilevered bay is present at the second floor, centered on the east façade. The house rests on a parged concrete foundation, with a full water table making the transition to the beveled lap siding on the main body of the house. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board trim, and the second floor windows are topped by the wide frieze encircling the house. The house features two chimneys, the larger set on the south wall of the house and a smaller interior chimney near the northwest corner. A single car garage sits at the northwest corner of the lot, constructed of concrete with a decorative stepped parapet. The garage has a new rollup door and two fixed windows on the north side.
Statement of Significance: J.T. Apperson and his wife sold lots 3 and 4 to D.C. and Jennie Baker in 1909. In 1912, the Bakers sold the property back to Apperson. In 1916, Apperson sold lot 3 to E.H. Cooper. Cooper then sold the lot to Theodore Osmund in 1919. The Osmunds sold the property in 1920 to Charles and Ella Caufield. Charles Caufield was co-founder and president f the Bank of Oregon City (U.S. National Bank). He served as Oregon City Commissioner, resigning one month before his death in 1934. He served as an Oregon City School Board Member for 17 years. Caufield was born in Oregon City in 1853. His parents were Robert and Jane Caufield, who arrived in Oregon in 1847 and settled on a donation land claim. Caufield was admitted to the bar in 1881, but never practiced law. In 1883, he married Lucy Ella Phillips. They had two children, Robert and Mrs. C.A. Anderson. The Caufields sold the property to Clara Wood and Edna Henderson in 1941. Two years later, Clara sold her portion to Edna. Edna's husband worked for Oregon City Abstract Company. Edna died in 1973.