This single story colonial bungalow has a rectangular plan. It sits on a concrete foundation and is covered in non-original stucco with a small water table. The jerkinhead roof has boxed eaves, eave returns and is covered with composition shingling. The windows are primarily 1/1 wooden double hung. The front and some side windows have been changed to large single pane fixed and all of the surrounds have been changed. The front porc has a gabled roof supported by round columns with a arched ceiling. The non-original front door has side lights. The porch base is concrete with la steps down to both sides and the main stairs to the front with wrought iron railings. There is a metal canopy covered side entry. There is a concrete retaining wall along the perimeter of the front yard. The house is significant for its architecture, as a good example of the colonial style. It is also significant for its association with Frank Busch, John C. Busch's father. Betty Caldwell, the daughter of John C. Busch, described the outside of the house as relatively unchanged from the time of construction. The exterior remains stucco. Modifications to the structure were mostly interior. Build in the dining room were replaced with a large picture window. Other changes to the house include a porch enclosure to enlarge the kitchen, and add of paneling upstairs and in the basement. The sitting room off the master bedroom was previously a small bedroom and had no french doors openin onto the back porch. The rear yard is relatively unchanged from when Betty grew up. The other structures on the property consist of a playhouse, a two garages that were built around 1929.
Statement of Significance: The structure is currently used as a single-family residence. The land that the house resides on was originally owned by St. Paul Episcopal Church was bought from the church in 1919 by the Hendry's and from the Hendry's to the Busch's in 1921. John C. Busch built the house either in 1921 or 1922. John was the son of Frank and Annie Busch and was born in Oregon City January 31, 1883. He lived in Oregon City his entire life and was partner of the Busch Furniture Store with his father and brother. John married Mildred who was born in October 10, 1897 in Debeque, Ohio. Both J and Mildred were Catholic and very active in the church. John was a member of the Knights of Columbus. John's father, Frank Busch, was a native Bohemia. John's grandfather, Wenzel Busch, moved his family to Oregon in 1877, and became a farmer in Clackamas County. Frank did not accompany the family at this time as he was in the Austrian Army during the Balkan War. Frank later joined his parents in 1883 in Oregon City. He established the Busch Furniture Store and later a furniture factory at Eleventh and Main Streets. The retail store of Frank Busch & Sons was manag by two of his sons (one of them was John). Frank Busch was also a director of P.R.L. & P. Company, a railroad company.