Oregon City is the first incorporated city west of the Rockies. Established in 1829 by Dr. John McLoughlin as a lumber mill near Willamette Falls, it was later designated as Oregon's territorial capital. Visiting its many museums and historical buildings allows you a glimpse of pioneer life in Oregon territory.
Places of Interest
Oregon City is Home to many Places of Historic and Cultural interest. Use the descriptions and links below to learn more.
The Museum of the Oregon Territory, which overlooks Willamette Falls and the Willamette River, has extensive exhibits of Clackamas county history documented in photographs and artifacts. Displays follow a time line from Indian times through fur traders, pioneers and merchants. Additional exhibits include one on America's first long distance electric transmission, which was from Willamette Falls, and an immigrant wagon fully loaded for the Oregon Trail.
The End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center is located on Abernethy Green, at a site often identified as the end of the Barlow Road portion of the Oregon Trail. Visitors are guided by a living history interpreter, who brings alive the journey from Missouri to Oregon through dramatization and story telling. Things to see include artifacts from pioneer days, a video presentation, and a gift shop.
The Stevens Crawford House is located in a 1908 classical Foursquare style house. It was owned by the original family until 1968 and much of the period furniture is still kept in the house. There are 15 furnished rooms, including a working kitchen, living room, bedrooms, dining room and a doll collection. There is also a museum area which features displays of souvenir plates, children's toys and Indian baskets.