MARY ELLEN VANCE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1871, this property was purchased by Mary Ellen Vance, who is responsible for the construction of the residence. Her husband Samuel was a farmer in 1860's and a teamster in the 1870s. In 1888, the house was purchased by B.S. Bellomy, who transferred it to Annie Busch the following year. Following the sale to Minnie Donovan in 1904, the property changed hands frequently. In 1947, the property was purchased by Theo F. Sager, a logger for the Clackamas Logging Company, and his wife Bernice. The couple were joined in the house for years by a Donald Sager, an electrician. Following her husband's death, Mrs. Sager continued to own and occupy the house through the 1960s.
This vernacular Queen Anne house with a cross gable roof sits along a steep slope with a basalt wall retaining wall in the front yard. The hooded windows are 1/1 wood double-hung. Paintless, channel drop siding covers the structure. Both the rear and front porches may be later add-ons. The steep hip roof front porch exhibits much Queen Anne detailing such as fish-scale, wood shingles, and detailed brackets. The main window on the first floor has a series of small colored panes. The foundation is currently of concrete block, with a short skirt. A deep rake board details the point where the wall meets the gable roof, and corners are detailed with corner boards with a capital trim.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.