Mayors in council-manager communities are key political leaders and policy developers. In the case of the council, the mayor is responsible for soliciting citizen views in forming these policies and interpreting them to the public. The mayor:
- Presides at council meetings
- Serves as a spokesperson for the community
- Facilitates communication and understanding between elected and appointed officials
- Assists the council in setting goals and advocating policy decisions
- Serves as a promoter and defender of the community
In addition, the mayor serves as a key representative in intergovernmental relations. The mayor, council, and manager constitute a policy-development and management team.