1003 8th Street - Joseph Locke House
This large house sits under a front gable roof, with a second front gable covering the full width entry porch on the south side of the house. The gables feature open eaves and knee brackets that penetrate the wide barge boards. The porch gable is supported by tapered square columns set on a solid balustrade. The balustrade is clad with the same double drop siding as the rest of the house, and all of the siding is finished with cornerboards. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds. The windows appear singly, in pairs, and in groups of four in the gable ends. A central chimney penetrates the center of the main gable. A small garage is located just east of the house, sitting under a gable roof and clad with the same siding as the main house.
Statement of Significance: This house, built by the prolific local carpenter Joseph D. Locke about 1914, was sold to R.E. Park in 1921. Park and his wife Janice lived in the house until 1943, when the widow Park sold the property to C.H. Boerner. Boerner held the property for only about eight months before selling to Charles and Lena Wieland. Wieland worked for the Crown Willamette Paper Company (which became Crown Zellerbach). The Wieland's lived in the house together until Charles' death sometime about 1959. From that point on, Lena lived alone in the house through the remainder of the historic period and into the early 1970s.