1101 Jefferson Street - Mrs. Sarah Partridge House
This 1-1/2 story bungalow has a rectangular plan with a shed roof addition to the south. It sits on a board formed concrete foundation and is clad in channel drop siding with corner boards. The foundation is parged on the south side only. There is a capped, non-decorative water table. The eaves of the side gabled roof are boxed and the roof covered with composition shingling. The windows are primarily 1/1 wooden double-hung. The south and east elevation windows have been replaced with aluminum sliders. There is also a cantilevered bay window on the west side and a front shed roof dormer. The front porch is forms a continuation of the main roof but with slightly less of a slant. The porch has a T&G floor, beadboard ceiling and boxed columns. The front steps are concrete.
Statement of Significance: This house's history is almost as curious as that of its lot mate, 711 11th Street. The house was definitely on its current site in 1892, although its west wing is noted as being one story at that time. The owner of the lot and the person who paid the taxes at the time was Mrs. Sarah Partridge, although she was not listed in the 1900 census as living in Clackamas County at all. She is, however, in the 1880 census (reminder: there was no 1890 census for Oregon), living in the Marshfield area of the county with her husband James, a farmer born in England in 1824. She is listed as having been born in Kentucky in 1817. She was 63 in 1880, her husband 56. In 1893, a William Beaman sells this house to Ryland and Mary Jane Alden. There is no record of who Beaman was, but R.W. Alden lives outside of Oregon City in 1892 and owns Alden Fruit Company. Speculating, it is possible that James Partridge died and Sarah moved into town to spend her last few years, and Beaman is a relative who sells the house after her death. Question is, would she, at her age, have built a new house?
Probably not, which indicates that the previous owners of the lot, Bridget and William O'Connor built the house (owned lot 1883-1889). But the O'Connors (Bridget, later Bridget Knowles of Bridget and Thomas Knowles), particularly Bridget, owned a great deal of property in Oregon City, rarely houses, but usually open land. It has not been yet discovered just which house they actually lived in, although the 1900 census shows Bridget and Tom Knowles, both born in Ireland, living on 10th Street. If she and William O'Connor built the house, it does not seem likely they lived in it, but it is possible (1900:Tom Knowles, b. 1852, day laborer; Bridget, b. 1832; Bridget had 14 children, 4 living; foster daughter Maggie MacAlvin, b.1885 Washington; niece Katie O'Connor, b.1874 New York, weaver). So, either Bridget and William O'Connor built the house or Sarah Partridge had it built. In any case, it was sold by the Aldens in 1897 to Louis and Sophie Deickelmann, who lived there. Deickelmann, born in Germany in 1831, was a day laborer. Sophie, born in 1836 in Germany, had five children, only two of whom were living in 1900, and one of which, John born in 1874 in Iowa, was living with them. John worked as a delivery man for an Oregon City furniture store. In 1905, Deickelmann, then a widower, sold the lot to E.J. Maple.