1108 7th Street - Anna Foster Jones House
The house at 1108 7th Street is a one-story vernacular house front c.1885. It has a hip roof over a rectangular plan. The building is clad in channel drop siding. The channel drop siding is hung vertically as a foundation skirt. Windows are typically 1/1 wood double-hung. On the sides of the house, the windows have hood and the eaves have paired brackets. The front porch is a c.1980 creation with turned columns, balustrade and stair rail. There is a large aluminum slider on the front. The front door is a multi-pane, bungalow door c.1920. At the rear is a 1990s plywood garage and a gambrel roof shed.
Statement of Significance: Anna Hughes Foster was born in Wales and emigrated first to New York and later to Oregon City. She later married John W. Jones, a carpenter. The Jones' lived in the house during their term of ownership that lasted from 1884 to 1943. After the Jones' sold the property, it changed hands many times until 1951, when it was purchased by Byron and Edna Maine. The Maine's owned the house through the remainder of the historic period, finally selling it in 1971. Following the Jones' occupancy, the house was used as a rental until the mid-1980s, with tenants including a mechanic, a librarian, a body shop worker, and a retired couple.