1110 Jefferson Street - Anna Howell House
The c.1897 house has a complex, two-story plan -- fitting with its original, but now mostly removed, Queen Anne styling -- with a board-formed concrete foundation. The chimney is deteriorating. The shed-roof room above the porch is clearly an addition and was possibly the original porch. Wood shingle siding is complemented by the 1/1 wood double-hung windows.
Statement of Significance: Anna Hornscuck Howell, descendent of an Oregon pioneer family, was the wife of Edward McLinn Howell, a real estate investor and developer (their residence was at 712 12th Street). Apparently she, her mother-in-law, Martha, and/or her husband's brother Chambers (later mayor of Gladstone) and sister Mary all lived in this house until it was sold in the mid-teens. Deed research shows the house being sold by E.M. and Anna Howell on Nov. 16, 1915 to J.W. and Rose Weber. There is no grantor listing for the property up through 1947, however city directories show the house being occupied by the Webers in 1933 and by John and Mayme Van Laningham beginning in 1941. The Van Laninghams resided at this address through the remainder of the historic period. Mr. Van Laningham was employed by Hawley Pulp & Paper Co. and later Publishers Paper Company. By 1964 he was retired. The couple had four children, Phyllis, John Jr., Robert and Donna.