1216 Jackson Street - William T. Whitlock House
This two story vernacular house has a rectangular plan and sits on post and beam foundation with skirting. The gable roof is covered with composition shingles and is pierced by a chimney. The rafter tails are exposed, there are decorative eave brackets and rake board. The gable end of the front façade has a decorative sunburst. The house is covered with channel drop siding. The gable ends are clad in wood shingles of several shapes. The south façade has a square bay. Windows are primarily 1/1 vinyl double-hung. The shed roof entry porch is supported by square columns and has a knee wall. The main entry door has been replaced. There is a hipped roof addition with porch and shingle siding to the rear. A concrete retaining wall extends across the front yard at the sidewalk level.
Statement of Significance: Edward R. Whitlock purchased the property in 1881. William Whitlock was the son of William Whitlock, Sr., who emigrated from England prior to 1860. Whitlock owned and operated a dry goods and general merchandise store in Oregon City in the late 1870s and early 1880s. On his death at the age of 54 in 1884, he left the store to his son Edward. William, Jr. inherited the land the house is on in 1893 from his mother, Honor. He was Mayor of Oregon City from 1888 to 1889, County Recorder from 1877 through 1882, and City Councilman in 1883, 1887 and 1889. The property was sold several times over the next few decades. Verl Weldon was the last registered owner from 1959-81.