1220 8th Street - Francis Glennon House
This house features two main wings, a 1-1/2 story wing on the west end that runs north-south and a one story wing on the east end that runs eastwest. Both wings sit under gable roofs with enclosed eaves and wide rake and frieze boards. A porch is recessed under the north side of the east wing, where the eave is supported by slender turned columns with decorative stickwork just below the blank frieze. The house is clad with horizontal drop siding, finished with cornerboards. The windows are all 4/4 double-hung wood sash with wide board trim and narrow apron boards. A second porch is set under a shed roof on the west end of the house. This porch roof is also supported by decorative turned columns and features a plain stick balustrade. A small garage is located at the northwest corner of the lot, under a gable roof and clad with wide lap siding.
Statement of Significance: Francis (Frank) Glennon was a stone cutter, who helped erect many pioneer buildings. He dressed the coping stone on the old Courthouse built in 1883. He officiated at the opening of the copper cornerstone box when the courthouse was demolished in the 1930s. He worked for Southern Pacific Railroad when it was being put through Oregon City. Mr. Glennon helped erect the Old Post Office in Portland. He constructed the power house, the woolen mills and government locks at Oregon City. He built the Singer Creek culvert under 8th Street in the Downtown District. At one time, he operated a marble shop at 10th and Main. Mr. Glennon was born in Ireland in 1845 and came to the United States at age 17. He spent two years in Oswego, New York and two years in San Francisco before coming to Oregon City in 1866. He lived in the house at 1220 8th Street for 66 years. Following Glennon's death, the house was sold to Anna Meilike. Meilike's daughter, Clara, lived in the house with her brother Charles who worked at the Hawley Pulp and Paper Company. Clara eventually married Albert Bullock, and the two lived in the house through the remainder of the historic period, selling the property in 1981.