123 High Street - H.J. and Elvira Bigger House
This 1-1/2 story bungalow sits under a side gable roof with a large shed dormer on the east side of the house. A full width porch is recessed under the main gable on this side as well, where the eave is supported by large tapered square columns set on brick piers. A solid wood balustrade runs between the piers, encircling the porch. A rectangular bay projects out from the north side of the house at the west end, containing a rear entrance to the house. This shed roof features open eaves, wide notched barge boards, and decorative knee brackets. The main gable and shed dormer have these same features. The house has been clad with wide wood shingles, probably added about 1950. The windows are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash with decorative trim molding, but the east side features 8/1 fixed sashes. The basement has received vinyl double-hung sashes on the north and south ends, and the north bay has a nine light fixed sash on the north side. A small gabled garage is located behind the house at the north end of the lot, sitting under a gable roof with exposed rafter tails. The garage is clad with drop siding, finished with cornerboards, and has a new roll up door.
Statement of Significance: H.J. Bigger was born in Ireland in 1851 and arrived in the United States in 1891. His wife, Elvira J., was born in Illinois in 1854. They had two sons: Frank and Alfred. Bigger owned the Oregon City Greenhouse and Nursery located on the corner of Third and Center. His son Frank worked as a florist there in 1916. In 1915 H.J. Bigger purchased property at 123 High Street and it is likely he had the house built around 1920. The Biggers sold the house to Karl and Anna Koellermeier in 1933. He worked for the Oregon City Meat Company. Ten years later they sold to Ralph and Ethel McCormick. The McCormicks lived at the house until they sold in 1955 to Charles (a postal carrier) and Sheila (a nurse) Robinson.