1307 7th Street - Jessie F. Cooke House
The house at 1307 7th Street is a two-story, front-facing gabled, vernacular residence. It has a full-width porch with truncated tapered columns and a solid rail. The house is clad in channel drop siding. Windows are 1/1 wood double-hung. The west front door appears original with transom. The east front door is a recent addition. An exterior brick chimney marks its east side. A concrete retaining wall and steps marks its entry.
Statement of Significance: Jessie F. and William H. Cooke were the original owners of 1307 7th Street. They purchased the property in 1883 and lived in the house that was constructed about 1890. W.H. Cooke was an Oregon City policeman during his later years in the house, but in the 1890s he was the manager of the United Hack, Truck, and Livery Company. Cooke lived in the house until 1941, when the property was sold to Simon and Hattie Boyer. Boyer worked for the Hawley Pulp and Paper Company, and sold the house in 1955. From this point on the house was used as a rental property, with tenants including mill workers and laborers.