203 Jefferson Street - Adolph Schoepps House
This two story vernacular/classical revival residence has a rectangular plan with a single story gable addition on the west side (rear). It sits on a concrete block foundation and is clad in asbestos ceramic shingles. A wide frieze and molded rake board connect to the boxed eaves. The side gabled roof is covered with composition shingling. The windows are primarily 4/4 wood double-hung except for the front first floor windows which were altered to 8-pane fixed. The modest front porch consists of a small stoop with wooden stairs and a small gabled cover supported by two knee brackets. There is a short central chimney. The landscaping has changed since the 1986 survey to less manicured plantings.
Statement of Significance: The house was built by Adolph Schoepps on Lots 1 and 2 of Block 45 (520 5th Street). Schoepps, who was born in Russia, was a finisher in the Oregon City Woolen Mills. In c. 1945, the house was moved to this location after the Catholic archdiocese purchased the block. Two year later, the property was owned and occupied by Fred Phipps, with his wife Julia and three children. Mr. Phipps was employed by Publisher Paper, and remained in the house until at least 1985.