306 Jefferson Street - William B. and Mary E. Howell House
A gabled dormer with an 8-pane fixed sash highlights the main elevation of this c.1913 bungalow. An arbor extends off the porch and features matching square tapered boxed columns atop brick piers, and open railing. The rafter tails are exposed, the water table with cap is extant, and there is one internal and one external chimney, with newer repointing. The multi-panel front door features three-lights. The basement includes four-pane fixed wood windows, and 6-pane and 5-pane windows on the south side. Two small bays come off the rear, one with a fixed, leaded window, the other with 7 small 1/1 windows. The siding is alternating width coursing of wood shingles. A large birch sets the rear yard apart.
Statement of Significance: William B. Howell was the Oregon City post office clerk between 1913 and 1918. He grew up in the house next door (308 Jefferson Street) in his father's (William H. Howell) house. By 1947, Howell was the assistant postmaster, and by 1953 he had retired. Howell lived in this house until 1965, even though he sold the house in 1962. Later owners included Paul Biggs, Betty Barrows, and Helen Stone, but none of these owners appear as occupants in the city directories.