313 Center Street - Harry and Sarah (Clara) Woodward House
This 1-1/2 story vernacular house has a rectangular plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation. The truncated hip roof is covered in composition shingles and is pierced by hip roof dormers. The house is covered with wood shingles. Windows are primarily 1/1 wood doublehung. The front (east) façade has a large picture window. The hip roof entry porch is supported by decorative columns, and has a knee wall. The main entry door is topped with a transom.
Statement of Significance: The house at 313 Center Street is reputed to have been originally located near the Hawley Pulp and Paper Company in Oregon City's commercial district, and to have been either an office for the company or an outbuilding for the McLoughlin House. A previous owner believes that it was moved up Singer Hill by horses. Lots 2,3,4 and 6 of Block 36 were sold by the Sheriff to Minnie L. Foster in 1902. While previous records indicate the house on its present site was purchased by Harry E. and Sarah Woodward in 1912, deed records do not show the sale of the house (part of lot 2) by Minnie L. Foster to the Woodwards until March, 1919. Additionally, on the same day as that sales transaction, another occurred between the Woodwards and W.C. Witnam, et al. for the same property. W.C. Witnam and his wife sold the house to Warren F. and Cora A. Johnson in November 1920. The Johnsons sold the house to Mary Schwoch in 1921. Anna M. Davies purchased the house from Mary Schwoch in 1925. The 1941 City Directory list Lewis J. Davies, an employee of HP and P Company, and Thomas B. Davies, a Timberman and owner of the house, as the residents. The Anna M. Gard Family, Chester M. Gard and Anna M. Davies sold the house in 1947 to Nick and Betty Pavich who in turn sold it to Ida Hutchinson Dillman, a widow, the same day. Ida Hutchinson Dillman owned the house until 1952 when she sold it to Leo G. and Dorthy E. Farr. Leo G. Farr was a partner in Coleman's Electric and Dorothy was a clerk at Harding Drug Store. The Farrs sold the house in 1953 to Myrtle D. Frost. Two years later, Myrtle D. Frost sold the house to Arley E. and LaVada Moore. The following year, in 1956, the Moores sold to Mabel I. Thompson. Mabel Thompson married Carl L. King, an employee of Crown Zellerbach, and transferred ownership to him in 1956. The Kings sold the property to Guy O., a construction worker, and Vivian Forbes in 1964. They continued to own the house through the rest of the historic period.
* Please note that the inventory form is incorrect, the original owners were Harry and Clara Woodward.