315 High Street - Riverview Apartments
This large three story building is known as the Riverview Apartments, sited at the bluff overlooking downtown Oregon City. The building rests on a parged concrete foundation, clad with glazed buff colored brick in a running bond pattern. At the transition to the foundation, a soldier course of red brick is set atop a stretcher course. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung vinyl sashes with steel supported jack arches and weathered rowlock sills. The main entry, centered on the east façade, is approached by a broad staircase and features a segmental arched entry under a crenellated parapet. This parapet, like the window sills and heads, is constructed of red brick, providing a contrast to the main field of the building. A clay tile roof is present behind the slightly projecting entry parapet, which give the building a Mediterranean flair. The main roof is flat with a large sheet metal cornice over a soldier course frieze of red brick. A concrete retaining wall runs along the east side of the property, and a large outdoor deck has been added to the southeast corner of the building.
Statement of Significance: J.C. Myers, Inc. appears to be the original builder of the Riverside Apartments, the only apartment building in the McLoughlin neighborhood for some years. J.C. Myers is not registered however, by the Oregon State list of corporations and there is no record of such a firm incorporating. The principals in the firm are unknown. J. C. Myers bought the property in 1927 from Sarah Pope. Myers sold to an investor's syndicate a month after buying. City deeds record a S.J. Boothby and R.E. Chadwick buying the property within the same year. The building has been owned by a series of companies including Hunt Investment Company, Progressive Realty Company, Hibernia Securities, the Riverview Inc. and several individuals including Hans Nielsen, and Aaron and Regina Langfus. The owner since 1977 is listed as Leslie Clark. Since 1953 the apartments appear to have high occupancy, varying from 14 tenants in 1958 to 27 tenants in 1960, 1964 and 1967.