408 John Adams Street - Christian & Agnes Schuebel House
This simple c.1927 bungalow house has a rectangular plan and sits on a slight hill, elevated above the street line. The roof is a side-facing jerkinhead (clipped gable) roof, with eave returns on the north and south elevations and is clad with composition shingles. A single-bay gabled roof adorns the front porch entrance, supported by non-historic 4x4 wood porch posts flanked by an enclosed knee wall. Two large fixed picture windows with multiple lights above dominate the front façade, while the typical window type is a 1/1 wood double-hung. The one-car garage is located under the main house below street grade and is complete with original hinged doors. An exterior chimney occupies the north side of the structure. Alterations include a modern front door and the front porch, which has been, altered post 1982.
Statement of Significance: In 1927, Christian and Agnes Schuebel purchased this property. Born in Pennsylvania in 1866, Schuebel came to Oregon City in 1878, and, having almost no formal education, gained a wide variety of job experience (coal mining, logging, farm labor). He worked for the Crown- Willamette Pulp and Paper Company while studying law in night school at the University of Oregon. Schuebel was admitted to the bar in 1897 and became a prominent Oregon City attorney. He acted as deputy district attorney, served on the city council, and also held three terms as Clackamas County's representative in the State Legislature. Throughout his career, Schuebel remained committed to improving working conditions in Oregon's mills and factories and was responsible for legislation establishing workmen's compensation, limiting working hours, and establishing a state board of conciliation and arbitration. He also converted Oregon City to the city manager system of administration, drafted the state's general fund bill, and introduced and helped to pass several other important bills dealing with taxation and labor. In 1941, the Schuebels sold this house to Raymond and Linda Schlabach, who lived there for ten years. They transferred the property to Ronald and Maxine Stroup, who remained at the residence until 1985.