503 High Street - Charles David Latourette House
This two story house sits under a truncated hip roof with gables covering large bays that project out from the south and east sides of the house. A small hip roof covers a porch at the southeast corner of the house, supported by a turned column at the corner with a wrought iron balustrade and spindle work frieze. The main hip and gables feature enclosed eaves with wide frieze and rake boards, and the gable ends have decorative stickwork. The south gable features a steep shed roof over the first floor windows, and the east gable has an octagonal bay at the first floor level with small pendants and scroll work at the cantilevered portions of the rectangular second floor. The house is entirely clad with horizontal drop siding, finished with cornerboards above the full water table. The windows are typically 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds and wide apron boards. Other decorative features include recessed panels beneath the first and second floor windows in the east gable. A large interior chimney penetrates the main hip and features a decorative corbelled cap. A two car garage is located at the northeast corner of the lot under a low hip roof. The garage is constructed of parged concrete, and features enclosed eaves and a pair of twelve-pane-over-six-panel overhead doors.
Statement of Significance: This house was reported constructed in 1882. The recorded owners at the time were Daniel and Mary Leahy. Charles David Latourette purchased this property in 1885 and lived there with his family until 1930. Latourette was a prominent member of a locally important family that contributed significantly to the development of Oregon City. He and brother D.C. Latourette established the first bank in Oregon City in 1886, the Commercial Bank of Commerce and practiced law locally. Latourette was an organizer and first president of the Clackamas County Bar Association and served as councilman, police judge and mayor of Oregon City. He and his wife, Sedonia Shaw had four sons. (The address was renumbered in 1916.) The house remained in the Latourette extended family until 1979. Donie Latourette purchased it in 1930 and sold it to Edna in 1945 who passed it on to Linn Latourette in 1974. This property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.