507 S. McLoughlin Blvd. - Albert and Mary Stokes Residence c.1903
Statement of Significance: Albert Stokes owned most of this block at the turn of the century; his grocery store was on the corner of what is now 1st Avenue and Miller Street. He and his family lived in this house after its construction around 1903. One of his sons, Clyde, a logger, eventually succeeded to ownership. In the 1930s, members of another long-time Canemah family bought the house - William Harvey and his wife. William Harvey was born in England in 1898 and arrived in Canemah with his parents at the age of six. He worked for Hawley's Pulp and Paper Company, and later for Publishers Paper. His wife was a DeMacon. The house is virtually unaltered, and is a typical example of a vernacular cottage.