512 6th Street - Louis and Ann Jagger House
This 1-1/2 story house sits under a front gable roof that features enclosed eaves above the wide frieze and rake boards. A slender molding makes the transition from these boards to the eaves throughout the house. A full width front porch sits under a hip roof supported by a series of slender chamfered square columns with decorative capital molding beneath scroll cut brackets. A blank frieze runs around the porch, as does a solid balustrade of vertical tongue and groove boards. The house is clad with horizontal drop siding finished with cornerboards. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with board surrounds and projecting hood moldings. A gabled addition has been made to the south side of the house, with a shed lean-to addition on that. These additions closely resemble the original body of the house in their character. An internal corbelled chimney penetrates the ridge near its center.
Statement of Significance: John Miller purchased this property in 1879 and is credited with the construction of the house, as well as those at 620 6th and 514 Center. Miller, who was born in Maryland in 1835, had established himself in Oregon City by 1867. A boot and shoe merchant, he was a partner in Miller and Shattuck and married to the former Mary J. Shattuck. Miller sold this property to Louis and Ann W. Jaggar on November 11, 1879. The residence was transferred by Minnie Jaggar- Vonderahe to C. G. and Anna Peterson in 1913. As the couple lived at 416 7th Street, this house was likely used as a rental. In 1942, Martha Petzold purchased this property while living next door at 504 7th. It was transferred from her estate in 1965.