514 4th Avenue - Stanford Ely Rental c.1922
Statement of Significance: This house was built as a rental by Stanford Ely, a general contractor in the Oregon City area. Ely is a descendant of Fred Ely, whose donation land claim in Oregon City was known for many years as Elyville; the area neighborhood still is known by that name. Stanford's uncles, Duane and George Ely, had a store in Elyville near the site of their father Fred's original house. The uncles then moved the store down to the second level on 7th Street. Stanford served as Clackamas County Commissioner for 12 years, beginning in 1957, and is currently on the Clackamas County Fair Board and Vector Control Board. The house has some significance for its association with the Ely family.