514 9th Street - George Hankins House
This 1-1/2 story Bungalow has a square plan and rests on a poured concrete foundation. Its cross gable roof is covered in composition shingles and the exterior walls are clad in clapboard siding. Windows are primarily wood 9/9, 9/1 and 15/1 double-hung, grouped in threes on a continuous sill, although both casements and the hoppers are also present. The half-width, gabled entry porch features a pair of truncated, elephantine posts on piers and a closed rail. Characteristics of the style include the wide, overhanging roof eave with ornately finished bargeboards, exposed rafter tails and purlins, and the slightly curved brackets. Other decorative features include the capped brick chimney and the sidelights flanking the front door. Alterations include the addition of the wrought iron stair railings.
Statement of Significance: This house, built about 1914, was originally the home of George and Dorothy Hankins. In 1916, George Hankins was a salesman for Burmeister and Andersen, Oregon City jewelers. The Hankins' continued to live in the house during their ownership, and by 1941 George was a partner in the Holman and Hankins Funeral Home. Hankins sold the house to Robert and Ruby Morris in January of 1946. Morris, a dentist with offices in the Barclay Building, lived in the house through the remainder of the historic period, finally selling the property in 1981.