514 Center Street - John F. Miller House
This 1-1/2 story vernacular house has a rectangular plan and sits on a concrete block foundation. The gable roof is covered in composition shingles, pierced by chimney, and has a wide rake board. The house is covered with bevel lap siding grounded by a water table and cap. Windows are primarily 1/1 wood double-hung and 6/6 wood double-hung on the 2nd floor. The flat roof entry porch is supported by double columns with decorative brackets at the top. Narrow french doors pierce the front façade on both the 1st and 2nd floors. The main entry door is multi-paned with narrow multi-paned sidelights and transom. A one story, flared gable roofed addition has been added to the rear. A white picket fence encircles the yard.
Statement of Significance: Eloise Harvey, Executor, sold lots 7 and 8 of Block 55 to John F. Miller in 1875. John F. Miller (1835-1906) was born in Maryland. By 1867, he was established in Oregon City as a boot and shoe merchant, doing business as Miller and Shattuck. Mrs. Miller was the former Mary J. Shattuck. By 1878, Miller was sole proprietor of his own shoe and boot business. In 1879, the Millers sold the property to Louis Jaggar. He and his wife owned the property until 1904 when they sold lots 1, 2, 7 and 8 to Ann W. Jaggar. Ann W. Jaggar, widow, sold the property in 1911 to R. Petzold. Richard Petzold was the proprietor of the Oregon City Cash Market at 6th and Center. When Richard Petzold died in 1936, the property passed to Martha Petzold. Martha continued to own the property until her death in 1965. The City Directories from 1953 through 1962 indicate Dora V. Valtermeir, dressmaker, resided in the house. It was vacant in 1964 and 1965. Charles M. Wilcox lived there in 1967.