514 Jefferson Street - Hattie A. Story House
This 1-1/2 story Gothic Revival style residence has a rectangular plan with early shed and hipped roof additions to the rear. It sits on a post and beam foundation and is clad in channel drop siding with corner boards. The foundation skirting is missing and horizontally placed boards are being used as an alternative. A wide frieze and rake board make the connections to the steep gable roof. The roof is covered with composition shingling and drains into new gutters. The windows are primarily 1/1 wooden double-hung with a substantial surround and decorative hood. The front porch has a hipped roof and appears to have elements under ten years of age such as the balustrade and concrete floor. A detached garage, in poor condition, exists to the rear of the house. The garage is clad in drop siding with corner boards and has a corrugated metal roof covering a shake roof. Its doors are missing.
Statement of Significance: Hattie A. Story was born in Oregon in 1868. Her husband George was a blacksmith. Hattie sold the house to Helen M. Story in 1909. Three years later, in 1912, Helen sold the house to John P. and Mary Halliday. They sold the house in 1915 to Frank and Ollie Cox, who owned the property until 1931. Cox operated a billiards room and cigar store in downtown Oregon City, and sold the property to August Kloer. Kloer lived in the house until selling it in 1944 to Ray Reid, a barber. By 1958 Harold and Isabelle Campbell were resident owners. Mr. Campbell was a foreman at Crown Zellerbach, and the family occupied the house through the remainder of the historic period.