519 6th Street - W.W. and Mary Marrs Rental
This house sits under a front gable roof in the taller section of the house, with a one story ell to the west. A small octagonal bay projects out from the east side of the house, and a hip roof covers the infilled porch on the southeast corner. The house features shallow enclosed eaves with wide rake and frieze boards, and the bay has scroll cut brackets and pendants at the corners of the gable that covers it. The house is primarily clad with drop siding finished with cornerboards, but the south gable end and the back porch are clad with plywood. The back porch has been infilled and is now interior space. This house has seen a great deal of alteration, as many of the windows have been replaced with aluminum sliding sashes. The west ell features 8/8 double-hung wood sashes, and the east side of the house has 1/1 double-hung sashes with board trim and projecting hood molding. These windows are the only original sashes remaining in the house. This house retains only a fair level of integrity, but most of the alterations are reversible.
Statement of Significance: This house was built in 1883 on Lots 3 and 4 along the corner of 6th and Washington St. It was probably first owned by T. P. Randall who sold it to Mary Marrs that same year on April 2. Mary Marrs was born in Iowa (1846-1936). Her husband, William W. Marrs (1855?-1921) built the first home in Gladstone. Johnson Creek in Columbia County was named for Mrs. Marr's father. Mrs. Marrs was a member of the Women's Union, and she and her husband were active members of the First Baptist Church. The Marrs' owned the house for forty years, but did not live there according to the Oregon City directory (1916). Parts of Lots 3 and 4 were purchased by M. F. and L. E. Tillotson and owned until 1932 where the property was sold to Minnie J. Vonderhae, to Melissa Churchill in 1944, and Ruth Bany in 1956. It was then sold by Ruth Bany in 1981 to Steven E. and Kathy Daufel.