524 High Street - Senator Linn E. Jones House
This large Craftsman house sits under a cross gable roof with the main ridge running east-west and smaller gables projecting out to the north and south sides of the house. These gables feature deep open eaves with knee brackets that penetrate the wide barge boards. A porch wraps around the north and west sides of the house under a hip roof supported by shingled columns. A solid balustrade encircles the porch, clad with the same wood shingles that cover the rest of the house. On the east side of the house, near the south end, a rectangular bay is cantilevered out from the house under a shallow hip roof. This bay features an aluminum sliding sash, while the other windows in the house are predominantly double-hung wood sashes. These windows appear in 15/1 and 30/1 patterns. Small casement windows are grouped in the east and west gable ends, and are also present at the basement level. A large basalt chimney is located on the west wall of the house. A small garage is located at the southeast corner of the lot under a gable roof with exposed rafter tails and a newer roll up door. The garage is clad with wood shingles that match the house.
Statement of Significance: Linwood E. Jones was born in 1875. His family had crossed the plains in the company of Sam Barlow and remained in close contact with the Barlow family for many years. Jones first worked for Judge Samuel White, proprietor of the Cliff House. White was the first Oregon judge under George Abernathy. At age 18, local druggists Caufield and Huntley employed Jones. In 1902, Jones opened a pharmacy in partnership with Howell in the Garde Building. Later, Jones attained sole proprietorship, locating at 701 Main Street. Jones frequently served in public office. At 21, he became city treasure for three years. Later, he was in the State Legislature for six years. Linwood and Erma Jones bought the property in 1913 from Matilda Charman, the year the house was built. They owned the house until 1960 (however city directories include no listing for 524 High Street from the 1950s on and no listing for Linwood or Erma Jones from the 1930s on.) John and Beatrice Cleland bought the house in 1960 and sold in 1980 to William and Cathleen Daniels.