608 4th Street - Helen M. Montour House
This 1-1/2 story house sits under a front gable roof with a recessed porch at the northwest corner of the first floor. The corner of the upper floor is supported by a turned post at the porch corner. A turned balustrade encloses the porch and leads down the short entry stairs. The main gable features enclosed eaves, wide rake and frieze boards, and delicate spindle work in the gable ends. The house is clad with horizontal drop siding below the eave line and above the water table. The foundation is skirted with vertical tongue and groove material, and the gable ends are shingled in an octagonal pattern. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with board surrounds, narrow sills, and projecting hood moldings. At the south end of the house, a one story room has been added to the west side under a small gable. This addition was likely an early one, and matches the main body of the house in both character and materials.
Statement of Significance: In 1900, Lydia Wells deeded this property to Helen M. Montour, who in turned transferred it to Anne Busch in 1902. Three years later, it was sold to O.F. Higdale, who owned it for over ten years. As such, it is unclear which of these owners was responsible for the construction of the residence. In 1917, the property was purchased by Clark S. Fuge, and was later distributed by his estate to Frank P. Fuge, a mail carrier, and his wife Elizabeth. In 1950, the couple sold the property to Folmer A. Nielsen, an employee of the Crown Zellerbach Corporation, and his wife Violet. The Nielsens continued to own and occupy the house until at least 1985.