610-612 High Street - Chase Carriage House
This 2-1/2 story building sits under a side gable roof with a shed dormer on the west façade. A new storefront runs the full width of this side, which is clad with plywood and features a row of six large fixed sashes. The entries into this ground floor commercial space are recessed into the building. The building is clad with plywood to the level of the second floor window sills. Above this the building is clad with wide wood shingles. A hip roofed extension runs the full length of the north façade, and may have been a porch at one time. It features scroll cut exposed rafter tails. The windows on the upper floors are predominantly 6/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board trim. The dormer features an arched casement sash. At the south side, the basalt foundation extends up through most of the first floor level. Two interior brick chimneys are present, one at the ridge near the south end of the house and a second at the northwest corner.
Statement of Significance: James Winston Chase purchased the property in 1893 (from MK Perrin) and is believed to have built the house. Chase was born in Vermont in 1834. Crossing the plains in 1851, his family settled on a Donation Land Claim in Springwater, Oregon. In 1859, James Chase married Sarah Augusta Stevenson, who crossed the plains in 1853. Her father, George Stevenson, also established a Donation Land Claim. James Chase was on the City Council for many years and initiated the purchase of a privately owned water system for Oregon City. In 1914, Mrs. Chase fought valiantly and lost against the locating of the municipal elevator in front of her home on the bluff. Their children were Ivan Chase, Mrs. S.O. Dillman, Mrs. Gilbert Hedges, Mrs. L. Adams, and Mrs. Arthur Howland. James and Ina Chase lived in the house at the turn of the century. In 1912 Sarah Augusta Chase bought the property and another lot from M. Howland Sade. The Sades were living at the residence with Sarah Chase in 1916. Dorothy Hedges owned the property from 1927 to 1946 and resided there with her husband John for at least part of this time. Dr. Franklin Heisley, a chiropractor, his wife Irene, and daughters Carolyn and Marilyn owned the house until 1953. The Judds purchased the house but sold it again in one year to Truman and Adene Robnett. Robnett was a druggist at Thrifty Drugs in West Linn. The house became the Thrifty High Street Pharmacy with multiple boarders in the house apartments throughout the 1960s. It was sold in 1969 to William and Shirley Wenhouse.