618 4th Street - Johannes Vigelius Rental
This modest house sits under a cross gable roof, and has a T-shaped plan. At the west end of the house, a 1-1/2 story wing runs north-south under a high gable. At the center of this gable, extending to the east, is a second lower gable that covers a one story portion of the house. The gables feature enclosed eaves, and the east wing has a shallower pitch on the north and south sides. The north side contains the entry porch, where the eave is supported by square columns with artificial rock facing. The house has been entirely clad with vinyl siding, except the base of the north side of the western wing, which is also clad with artificial stone. The windows are all aluminum or vinyl sashes, the majority being aluminum sliding sashes. Vinyl fixed and double-hung sashes also exist, and many of the windows have seen the addition of decorative shutters. A stepped exterior chimney is present on the west wall of the house.
Statement of Significance: In 1884, Johannes Vigeluis purchased Lots 1 and 2 in this Block. A few later, he constructed a residence for he and his wife, Bertha, at 612-4th Street. " John", a German immigrant and barber on Main Street, built this house a short time after and used it as a rental. In 1939, Mrs. Vigeluis, a widow, moved next door to this property. In 1958, Rose Paulin, also a widow, purchased the house. Three years later she sold it to Paul R. Barringer, a sawyer at the Zellerbach Company, and his wife Rita. The couple continued to own and occupy this residence until at least the early 1980s.